Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

How do I get my cat on a different schedule? He wakes me up anywhere between 1am and 4am to eat.

I've left dry cat food out for him, but he refuses to eat it, I've left canned food out, but he still wakes me up to eat. He refuses to drink water out of any container, even the toilet bowl is not good enough for him any more so I think he's trying to get his water through freshly opened canned food. And he is now begging for cannned food about 5-6 times per day through a 24 hour period and he's gaining weight, I give him about 11/2-2 hours of exercise in the evenings. I'm about ready to send his name to craigs list for a free night owl or someone who's is awake all night, I work a laborous job and need my sleep. I've tried closing my door at night, but he started to whine loudly waking up the rest of the house, and started to destroy the carpet under the door. squirt bottle isn't effective in stopping it.

Best Answers

• Calindy MannCalindy Mann Member Posts: 173
    Accepted Answer
    You may want to take him to the vet, there could be a underlying problem if he won't drink or eat anying but canned food. Does the tap water taste funky? Maybe you could get a Brita or Pur filter for his (and your own) drinking water. Maybe try putting a little ice in the water and use a glass dish because plastic sometimes makes water taste odd. Or try setting the bathroom sink to slowly drip, my cats love to drink from the drippy sink. Let it drip for a little a few times a day while then turn it off so you dont have a big water bill. But definatly see the vet about this issue, He could have diabetes or a food allergey or something more serious.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    There are a lot of different issues here, so let's take one at a time. I don't think your cat is waking you up to eat and if he is and is truly hungry, then a chat with your vet about a possible dietary change might be in order. He sounds like the typical fussy eater. But, getting canned food 5-6 times a day is way too much if that's what you're doing. He may need more fiber in his diet to fill him up. Secondly, if you are playing with him right before you go to bed, you may need to wind him down a little. Brush him to calm him down before you retire, like a "cool down" in aerobics class. Stick to the same routine every night as cats don't like schedule changes at all. One of my cats also scratches at the door, but luckily doesn't meow. And Lily has torn up the carpeting at the door in the den. Is there some reason why you can't just give in and let him sleep in your room? Perhaps his own bed in there might work. It's better than popping up during the night to "argue" with him!
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisMember Posts: 1,425
    Accepted Answer
    A friend of mine has a kitty that will only drink running water. They got one of the Drinkwell fountains for their cat and he LOVES it. It keeps the water recycled and fresh and he's much happier. Maybe this will help your little man as well. I agree that you should take him to vet to rule out any medical problems he's having. If he's that hungry, you might have a worm problem.
  • Kerri ZimmermanKerri Zimmerman WinnipegMember Posts: 448
    Accepted Answer
    How old is your kitty? If he is still quite young then this may be the issue. Cat's are night hawks for many of their young years. My two cats used to chase eachother and rough house when I was trying to sleep. But eventually they grew out of it. I have heard the same from countless people about their cats waking them up in the middle of the night. My one cat wakes me up at the same time every day. About an hour before my alarm clock goes off. As soon as they sense that you are out of your deep sleep they grab the oppurtunity to be with you! One thing I would do to get more fluids into him is add some water to his canned food. As the others suggested maybe calling your vet would be a good idea and explaining to them what he is doing for their advice??