My kitten is about 10 weeks old, got her from the RSPCA, while she uses the litter tray, she keeps g

She knows how to use the tray, but keeps peeing on the beds and carpet, and when I'm doing washing she pees on the dirty washing, she also keeps poohing everywhere as well. We have 2 litter trays which are cleaned every day. I need help, she has been doing it since the day we got her. Her brother is good, but she's driving us mad. Beautiful little girl who we love, but we need help.

Best Answers

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    She could have a urinary tract infection so take her to your vet for an exam to rule that out first. If she gets the all clear and its behavioral there are some things that you can try. Try Feliway which can help reduce stress related peeing. Try a different type of letter as she may not like the smell/feel of the one you are using - change back to the one the RSCPA used if she was using the litter box there. Try adding a couple of litter boxes and different types in case she doesn't like the new box or position or sharing it. Your vet can probably give you some more advice when you see them. Lastly you need to treat the stains so that she can't smell any urine smell and be drawn back to spots she's previously peed in. Natures Miracle or a similar enzymatic cleaner is good for that.
  • Candice MyerscoughCandice Myerscough Member Posts: 8
    Accepted Answer
    sounds like she is marking out her territory if you have a wood based clumping litter (cats best oko plus) you can scoop out what has been done as cleaning it each time when they are small is getting rid of the scent which is what will get her to go back and yes keep moving the trays until you find a perfect spot(its never where you want it though) try putting it somewhere she likes to pee alot because no matter how well we clean they can still smell! good luck
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    In my experience, kitten pee doesn't smell as bad as adult pee so now is the time to put a stop to it before she gets older and it gets that nasty ammonia smell. I wouldn't expect a 10 week old female to have any desire to mark yet so I wonder if she is just forgetting where it is. Is she tiny at 10 weeks? Mine were. Sometimes kittens just get carried away playing and then when they have an urgent need to go potty, they can't remember where they last saw that pesky litterbox. I would try having extras and try putting them in the open and more accesible until she gets trained better. When I got Bailey, she had begun using the corner of the living room because my litterboxes were upstairs and her little legs just couldn't get her there in time. So I put a litterbox in the corner of my living room until she got bigger and then slowly moved it until it was in a more discreet location where I wanted it.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    This usually happens when the baby is separated before she's learned proper litter box manners. Also, they get to playing with each other and all of the sudden, she realizes she's GOTTA GO! I'm having issues with Lily Rose right now. I caught her peeing on our laundry, also, and pooing in the corner of the dining room. I also have the funny feeling she's been using the upstairs bathtub which I've since bleached and scrubbed. My solution is to put litter boxes downstairs where she can get to them easily. I don't WANT to have a box in my dining room, but I also don't want the house to reek of cat pee/poo. I'm also scrubbing rugs with a steam cleaner and Nature's Miracle (PetsMart). Also, when I catch her, I put her right into a litter box.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    First: she might not like using the same toilet that her brother does. I've had a cat with issues like that. No solution there unless you can separate the cats and their toilets. Second: keeping her in a cage with a litter box for a while helps reinforce the idea that she should go in the box. This is the method that breeders use. I can say from experience that I did not do that with my kittens at first, and until I did, they were going all over the house. A week of living in a kitty playpen, with lid, taught them their toilet manners.