So I've moved the litter trays and am still cleaning up smelly bombs.

I've taken all advice so far and she is using the litter trays to pee and poo, but still insists on walking past all the trays to poo in the cupboard. How can I stop her? I'm getting her desexed in a week, will that help? Running out of options with her and I don't want to be locking her away from the family all the time.

Best Answers

• Kerri ZimmermanKerri Zimmerman WinnipegMember Posts: 448
    Accepted Answer
    Sorry....I am not understandimg....you said she poos and pees in the liter box. Then you say she poos in the cupboard? How old is she? Are the poos small and hard? She may be constipated or have enlarged anal glands. And the feeling of the clay litter may irritate her bum. She may be telling you she wants a different litter. Have you put the litter pan near where she is pooping?
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Bishop is right. If it's causing her pain to poo, then she's not going to use the litter box. When you take her in for spaying, ask them to check her anal glands. Also, make sure her boxes are in a quiet area as cats feel very vulnerable when using their boxes. If you're leaving the cupboard doors open, shut them so she can't get in and when you see her heading for the cupboard, follow her and put her in the box if you think she's going to 'drop a load" in there. You can also try putting a few of the bombs in her litter box to give her the scent in there.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    Accepted Answer
    She should also be checked for a urinary tract infection. Often cats will defecate outside the litter box to show their owners that something is wrong. Be sure your vet runs a urinalysis on her when she goes in for an exam.
  • H PH P Member Posts: 5
    Accepted Answer
    First, get her checked out by the vet to rule out and health issues. Second, how many litter boxes do you have set up? May cats need more than 1 box, 1 for doing their pee in and another to do their poo in, and you have to make sure the boxes are big enough for the cat. And thirdly, how clean are the boxes? Remember a cat can smell their box days before you do. Type litter can also be an issue. I have a cat that will poo in a box but not pee if I buy scented litter, he refuses to us the scented stuff to pee in. I had to learn the hard way thru trial and error years ago.