Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

This past weekend our cat 7 year old cat "Dexter" passed away suddenly. It was such a shock...

Bonnie and JasonBonnie and Jason BostonMember Posts: 33
He was eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom. We have another cat named "Dirty” she is around the same age. Needless to say, we can see that she is upset. Usually when we would go away for a few days we left them both plenty of food and water and knew they had each other so we didn't worry. Next week we are going away for a few days and I am feeling worried and guilty for having to leave her alone. We have a dog as well and she will be coming with us. I just worry that it is too much for the cat to have her best friend gone--Then her owners and the little dog (who she has a love/hate relationship with). Am I over thinking this? I know that cats are practical and independent but still change is hard enough on animals. All opinions appreciated. Thanks.....

Best Answers

• Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    Accepted Answer
    I'm so sorry for your loss. The loss of a loved one is so heartbreaking, especially when it happens suddenly. Last May my kitty Sally passed away suddenly, too. About three weeks later I had to go out of town for the weekend and I was really worried about my other kitty, Lucy. It was a similar situation to yours as my dog would also be gone at that time. I was so worried that I ended up having a cat-sitter come by twice a day to check on Lucy. It was for my own peace of mind as well as for Lucy's well-being. I did feel much better knowing that someone was there to check on her, play with her, and give her loving and treats. The cat sitter was fantastic and it REALLY helped to have her there so she could call me if anything came up. Lucy was fine. She slept and watched birds out the window. This might be an option, if only to ease your mind and decrease your anxiety. Take care.
  • Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    Accepted Answer
    I am so sorry for your loss! It is so hard to lose a fur baby, and when you are not expecting it I think that makes it harder. You are definitely not over thinking this situation, as cats can create close bonds with other cats, dogs, and people. I looked for my sister for a long time after she passed away suddenly. Lucy had a great suggestion to find a pet sitter to stop in. Have the person come once or twice before you leave, especially if he or she has never been over to your house before. I agree with Lucy, that will help give you some peace of mind while you are away.
  • Lauren KorkiLauren Korki Orange CountyMember Posts: 417
    Accepted Answer
    Firstly we are so sorry for your loss. Dexter was no doubt so special and you must be heartbroken. Secondly, you are for sure NOT overreacting. You are being a compassionate and thoughtful pet owner. She must be in a fragile state and you are right to think that she may feel abandoned or overwhelmingly alone. Do you have a friend or family member that can come to the house and stay the weekend while your gone? NOt just someone who comes to fill the food bowl, but someone who will hang out at the house, watch tv, sleep over, etc. so Dirty will not be so alone. Normally, you're right, they're pretty independent, but under your recent circumstances and changes, this may be an exception. BEST WHISKER-WISHES >^..^<.