Tooth Loss ( FORL)

Elizabeth MabardyElizabeth Mabardy Member Posts: 2,708
I had to take my Cat to the Vets today. I noticed Kally Kat has a inflamed gum that was very red & raw looking on one of her lower tooth.This just happened last wk. She tells me it's a condition called Feline Oral Resorptive Lesion. I never heard of it before, until today. Oh, I felt so bad when she told me that she may very well lose that tooth & some others too. Kally Kat has Calicivirus & has had all of her shots up to date. The Vet says it's not from the Calicivirus. I brush her teeth & massage her gums daily with my finger as she doesn't mind that at all. So, for now I want to read & learn more about this. Can any of Catsters member who have any experience with some cats having tooth loss? I'm so upset about this. My Vet says there is nothing that I did wrong, just continue brushing her teeth for now 3 X's a wk. & stay away from the sore gums. She gave me a pouch of Vetri-Lysine Plus Soft Chews. Kally needs 2 of them a day. Thank you Catsters! Kally Kat & Mama Liz );

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    http://www.sunnysidevetclinic.com/site/view/63729_FORLs.pml Liz-go to the above website for a great explanation, complete with photos, of a cat's teeth with FORL. It's not anything you did. Its like the cat version of a cavity. Purrs!
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    I have only had one cat lose any teeth and my old vet never gave me any idea why or any ideas what to do to help it. I've come a long way with the current family and I never leave without a full explanation these days. But if Kally Kat needs to continue to use the Vetri-Lysine soft chews, you can probably save a ton of money by getting them on Amazon.com. I don't know how much you paid at the vet, but when they gave Kira L-Lysine powder by Viralys at my vet, I found out that I could have gotten it for about $10 less online even with shipping. Lysine is just an amino acid and does not require a prescription to buy it. Good luck with Kally Kat!