Is there information available for Calico cat pet owners?

We are looking to know how to treat her because she has really stinky poo. We've tried specialty cat foods to include natural and organice. She only eats dry food. She is strictly an indoor cat that can be psycho. It's not her behavior we want to correct, it's the smell that comes from her ****.

Best Answers

• Maggie BradshawMaggie Bradshaw Member Posts: 506
    Accepted Answer
    Stinky poo doesn't really have anything to do with the fact that she's a calico. If the smell is ALWAYS coming from her butt, poo or not, shes probably needs her anal glands expressed, which I think a vet can do quickly and cheeply. if it's just the poo, and changing food hasn't been working, there are additives you can add to thier water or food that can help. its usually a liquid or powder though so you might have to mix it into alittle bit of gravy or some tuna as a treat. you shouldn't add liquid to dry food, and the powder doesn't really get to mix in and dissolve into anything to be consumed. I give my stinky Phil something called Prozyme. You can get it at smaller specialty pet stores or vets, but petco and petsmart have fin stuff too. i think one is called Clover. theres other too. they come in powers, droppers, liquids. anything. Prozyme has worked well for me.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    First of all, please stick to appropriate language that is ok for kids to read. Calico is just a fur color so she really doesn't need any specific care that is different than any other cat. I have noticed that canned food seems to cause stinky poop, so stick with the dry. You need a food that is high in protein and has less fillers and junk in it. That should reduce the amount she needs to eat to feel full and reduce the amount of poop. Don't switch her foods around too much or that will cause stomach upset and make it worse. You switch by gradually mixing the new food with the old so she has time to adjust. And don't fall for the word "natural" on a cat food label. There are no regulations regarding the use of that word and it's usually just a trick to sell the stuff. I use Blue Buffalo Products. Wellness and Innova EVO are also very good.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Again, "Calico" is not a breed, but a coloration. Unless you have some kind of purebred cat like a Persian or a Maine Coon (who come in calico versions), you've probably just got a domestic short hair moggie. That having been said, I can sympathize with the odorous feces problem because I have it with some of my own crew. They do not have worms or any illnesses that show up on regular blood tests, but there is always the possibility of something like IBD. I mean to check this out soon. I should add that their stools tend to be loose, which increases the odor and makes cleaning the litter pan much more difficult. Some people swear by pumpkin puree, some by yogurt, but I've found that--gasp!--Science Diet Hairball Control food firms up their stools and cuts down on the odor, due to the extra fiber provided by this food. Until you can consult with your vet and pinpoint the cause, hairball control food might help in the interim.