My siamese cat Sugar hasn't been eating. I'm starting to get worried. Any ideas why she wouldn't be

She just sniffs her food and won't eat. She drinks a little water, but thats all. She won't even eat meat. This just came out of the blue. Maybe she's going on strike? Please help!

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    You haven't siad how long she has not been eating. If she is still not eating today, I would call the vet on Monday morning. If a cat can't smell, she often won't eat. Is it possible she has an upper respiratory infection or something that is preventing her sense of smell? Try tempting her with some really smelly fish flavor canned cat food or even a bit of regular tuna to see if she will eat it.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    Accepted Answer
    Cat's do not go on hunger strikes, nor do they fast like some dogs will. In fact it can be dangerous for a cat to not eat and if a cat doesn't eat for some time, they can even forget to do it. You need to consult a vet if Sugar has gone more than 36 hours without food. If she's lethargic or other symptoms emerge then she should be seen sooner. Decrease or lack of appetite can be caused by so many different things. Sugar needs some bloodwork at the very minimum.
  • Accepted Answer
    Hunter is absolutely right. A cat not eating is a serious thing and time is of the essence. Once they pass a certain point of not eating, they just quit altogether. Get her to the vet ASAP! Good luck!