At what age are cats going to get their full teeth?

Best Answers

• Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    I should know this...I've had over ten cats...you can check it on the Internet and get a real answer, but my rapidly diminishing powers of memory seem to indicate that it's around five to six months. First they get their baby teeth, and then at around five months or so they start losing them and getting their permanent, adult teeth. Sometimes this involves a bit of gum swelling and pain, but in general, it seems that they either swallow the now useless baby teeth or dispose of them somewhere. One thing I've noticed with my cats is that, not infrequently, the adult upper fangs grow out before the baby fangs have fallen out, meaning that Kitty will have four fangs in her upper jaw for a few days--a bit strange, but it all works out. It is not uncommon for cats to have gum/tooth problems (if you're a really energetic cat owner, you might consider brushing), but I've never met a cat whose teeth were misaligned and--har har--needed braces. I wouldn't worry about this too much.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    I noticed Kira starting to lose some at about 5 months but the only reason i noticed was because it was just after her spay surgery and i was being neurotic about keeping an eye on her. I have 5 cats with the oldest being not quite 2 years old and I have never noticed them losing teeth or getting the new ones. It's not generally something you need to be concerned with unless you notice problems with their gums or any other discomfort during the process.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    Yep, 5-6 months. Although you probably might not be able to detect it. I waited and waited until Gracie's spay for teeth to come out, but never saw evidence. Her vet said she had adult teeth last time she checked on her (after the spay). I think the only evidence you get is indirect. Gracie is a chewy kitten (what hasn't she chewed?), but when she was going through teething she was gnawing on toys almost constantly.