Sometimes I get lazy and dont go to basement to take a poop or pee. Instead I use the rug under the

Calin is completely house trained. She will use the litter boxes in the basement 90% of the time. If I catch her 1/2 way through, she will run downstairs and use the litter box (there are 3 of them).

Best Answers

• Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Inappropriate elimination is probably the number one problem that cat owners face. So, you're not alone. However, there are no easy answers. Sometimes the cat doesn't like the litter you're using, sometimes the box isn't clean enough, sometimes the cat doesn't want to share the box with other cats, and sometimes the cat is going in inappropriate places just to make a statement. The first thing you have to do is take Calin to the vet and make sure that she doesn't have a urinary tract infection (UTI). I suspect that the real problem may be that the litter box is in the basement--how old is she? How spry? You say you have three litter boxes--are any of them close to where she occasionally has her accidents? Like it or not, you may have to have litter boxes in your living room, kitchen, etc. I have ten cats and seven litter boxes in a tiny apartment, and let's just say that, basically, the litter boxes are the only "objets d'art" in the apartment. But do see your vet first.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Unfortunately, if Calin is not ALWAYS using her box, she is not "completely house trained". When she uses the rug or any place other than her box, you need to clean the area with a enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution to descent the place she's gone or she will return to it again and again. And, make sure Taylor is not "sneaking a pee" there as well. You say that she's an indoor/outdoor cat, and I've found that they are the ones who tend to eliminate in inappropriate areas indoors since they often potty outside during the day anywhere they please. Cats who go out also tend to mark (spray)more indoors as well as out since they can be more territorial than strictly indoor cats. Try putting some garden soil in her box to see if that attracts her to it more successfully.
  • Sheila Whithorn-FarrellSheila Whithorn-Farrell San JoseMember Posts: 13
    Accepted Answer
    Are all of her boxes down stairs? It could be she trying to tell you she needs one closer. we have three cats and three boxes all in different rooms so that they can choose which one they want. Also is Calin older or young? Does she share the boxes with other cats? If so try moving them around in to different areas and see where she is most comfortable.