My kitten is 8 & 1/2 months old. He weighs 11lbs. Is he overweight?

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    The best one to judge whether or not your cat is overweight is your vet. They say that if you look at a cat from above, it should have a nice "hourglass" shape. But in the case of a kitten, they aren't grown yet so don't have the adult body shape. I can't remember how much my Maine Coon, Izzie, weighed when he was 8 1/2 months, but I know it was around 10lbs If your cat has one of the larger breeds in his genetic make-up or if his parents were large cats, more than likely, he inherited these genes. Your kitten should be active, lively, alert and into just about everything at his age. If you find that he tires easily and isn't interested in playing that much, then definitely consult with your vet. His diet should consist of a good quality kitten food, dry and wet. He should not be eating table scraps or "people food" at all and you should not be giving him cow's milk. At 8 1/2 months, he should be established with a vet and neutered. They are the best to consult with for diet questions.
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisMember Posts: 1,425
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with Izzie. It really depends on a lot of things. Cats are so different especially if they're mixed breeds. There's no telling what traits and characteristics can show up. Maine Coons are larger while some cats are very petite. Oscar is a large cat and probably weighed 11 pounds at Simon's age. Your vet will let you know what the best weight for Simon and if you need a change in food or to decrease how much he's getting at each feeding. Simon is a precious boy!
  • Accepted Answer
    I don't think one can judge from this picture, or at least one who isn't a vet. It also depends on how large (or small) their frame is. Check out the following website. It'll give you a good frame of reference... http://www.placervillevet.com /feline%20body%20condition.htm ...by the way your kitten is equivalent in age to a kid who's just over 13 years old. - for age equivalence, see... pawsonline.com Cute kitty!