Urine marking or attention seeking?

I have recently experienced a lot of problems with my oldest, three year old, neutered male. He is literally peeing on our kitchen counters. He does this even when a freshly cleaned litter box is available. I'm not sure if this is a territorial issue, like he is urine marking, or if he is just seeking attention? Any solutions? One important detail is that I've decided to keep him indoors only now. I'm thinking that he may be feeling frustrated or cooped up now that he can not go outside. Could this be causing him to act out?

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Peeing on a countertop is not normal marking behavior. This sounds like a message. "Hey Mom, something's wrong" I would have him checked out to rule out a health issue. He may have a UTI or urinary crystals. It may just be behavioral to tell you he's not happy about the lifestyle change, but you need to make sure he's not sick first.
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisMember Posts: 1,425
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with Allie. It might be because he's upset about not going outside, but you probably need to have him checked for a UTI as well. Oscar will eliminate outside of his box sometimes to let me know that he's unhappy about something.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I agree. My outdoor cat marked in the house also, but it was on the wall alongside his litter box-never on a flat surface. I'd take him to the vet to rule out an infection or other medical issue and share with the vet what he's doing. I'm certain he's not happy about being an indoor cat now, but you've made the right decision. He'll be around for much longer for you to love on now!
  • Kim McClachrieKim McClachrie Member Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    I went thru this when I had changed litters. The oldest was fine for like 4 months and then changed his mind. After pulling my hair out I went back to the old litter and immediately had no more problems. But I agree with the other comment, get the cat to the vet. If you have more then 1 cat, one maybe doing litter box diving while the other was inside, which would make your counter tops a better place: high up and can see what's comming.