Fleas

There are many questions on Catster regarding fleas (and not the famous Catster fleas, ha ha). My first cat, who disappeared forever into the dark Tokyo night, did have fleas because she was allowed outside--and they were treated, and we got rid of them. All my cats since then have been indoor-only, and while we had a fun time with roundworms (thanks to my breeder's queen), no fleas. So, my totally stupid and naive question is, why are so many Catster cats flea-infested?

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Fleas are a common "malady" for both dogs and cats. People mistakenly think that a flea-infestation can only happen in summer so don't treat their animals year 'round. People don't realize that fleas can be brought in on our clothes, our shoes and come in from outside, being transferred from dogs who go out, wildlife, strays and visits by humans to a home where the animal might have fleas. Indoor only animals aren't immune to fleas. By the time a flea problem is discovered, the tiny livestock has infested the other animals, the home and more than likely, the human inhabitants. In today's economy, people are looking for the less costly way to treat fleas and may use over-the-counter drops, sprays, collars or powders which don't work and the infestation only becomes worse.When your animal has fleas, you need to treat the whole house, not just the animal so the invasion persists. And some times when people write us asking about fleas, it's not fleas but some other skin problem.
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisMember Posts: 1,425
    Accepted Answer
    Izzie's absolutely right. Oscar's an indoor only cat, but I have dogs go outside. We live in a semi-rural area (I have cows next door) and we have all manner of woodland creatures that carry Heaven knows what. Fleas can hitch a ride on almost anything. Vaccuuming your floors regularly is a great way to keep the fleas down in your house.