Why does our cat attack us when we exercise?

When my boyfriend and I do indoor exercises (push-ups, yoga, ect.) and they involve us being on the floor our cat lunges at our wrists, hands, and arms. He does not normally bite that often, if he does we touch his nose and say NO and that usually stops him. Sometimes he doesn't care that we are exercising, but when he does care, it is impossible to get him to stop his repeated attacks unless we use half a spray bottle of water on him. Any ideas about whats going on?

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Well, no offense intended, but based on the "mighty hunter" video on Emerson's page, I would say that he does it because you guys taught him to behave that way and encouraged him to think stalking, pouncing and chasing his humans was acceptable behavior. It is hysterical and it looks like fun for your boyfriend and for Emerson. But you really can't blame him for not knowing that this is not always going to be an acceptable way to behave. This is the same reason you don't give a puppy your old shoes to play with. They can't tell the difference between the shoe that is ok and your $200 designer shoes. Kitty can't tell when you are playing with him and when you are exercising.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Many cat owners use spray bottles, but my understanding of cat behavior is that they really can't connect the spray with the unwanted activity. Simple solution--put the cat in another room when you are exercising. If you are living in a one-room apartment....just keep on telling him "NO!." Or join a sports club where you can exercise sans cat.
  • Rebecca BoydRebecca Boyd BroomfieldMember Posts: 784
    Accepted Answer
    Ah... both my boys did this kinda thing well after they turned one! Sammy, the baby, still does a hidden attack around a corner once in a while and he just turned 2! Didi (real name Diablo) is 5 now, but as a kitten I would wake up to him attacking my feet... couldn't wear flip flops until after he turned 2! so my experience... It MAY get better after he turns 2! Oh BTW... your video is cute!
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    What Allie said.