HELP!! DIEGO HAS FLEAS!! :(

i picked up diego to give him a belly rub and all i see is like 10 fleas next to each other jumping i bought diego the flea cat collar will that help?

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Please be careful about which flea collar you chose. They are really not great for flea control and can be dangerous. Your best bet is a product like Advantage or Frontline where you put drops on the back of their neck. It's safer and more effective than flea collars. Many OTC flea collars use a pesticide that can actually harm your cat. I don't trust those at all and I have heard all sorts of bad stories about them. If you see 10 fleas, there are probably at least 10 times that many. You may need to treat your home as well as Diego to get rid of them for good. Flea bombs and sprays may be needed if the fleas have infested your carpets. Wear white socks and walk around and then check your ankles. They are supposed to be attracted to white. Good luck!
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    I don't think a flea collar is the best choice in prevention or treatment of fleas. Some products are even harmful. You really should use something like Advantage or Revolution. Frontline and Frontline Plus are also good choices, but from my own experience I would not recommend either Frontline products. My cats tolerate Advantage better than any flea med I have tried. Give it a shot. Good luck with Diego's flea problem. I'm sure the little critters will be gone soon!
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Diego is a kitten and whatever you use on him MUST be OK for you to use on a baby of 8 weeks of age. Using a product meant for adult cats on him could poison him or at the least, make him very sick. The best flea products come from a vet. If Diego doesn't already have his own vet, now is the time for you to find one. Giving your kitty a lifetime of good medical care is part of being a responsible cat owner. He's getting old enough to neuter and he needs his vaccinations. He needs to be introduced to a vet and the vet needs to get to know him just in case a situation comes up where you need a doctor for him. Anyway, do not experiment with over-the-counter flea drops or other flea control products for your baby. Contact a vet and ask about flea control for a young kitten. And yes, you'll need to also get spray for your home and power vaccum (throw the bag out-the vacuuming won't kill the fleas--they'll just crawl back out of the bag. Good luck and hugs and kisses to that sweet little guy
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    Flea collars are useless for this kind of thing. I reccomend you see the vet and ask them if he can be given a capstar to kill the existing fleas (they can figure out a dosage low enough for him if applicable to his situation) and to try and put him on Revolution. Unlike other topicals I know of, Revolution has a kitten sized version, which you will be able to administer as long as he's between 2 and 5.5 lbs of weight (he should be close enough to that low end if he's about 2 months old). We put Boris on the adult version a long time ago, and Gracie was on the kitten version as soon as she was big enough for it. The capsules are easy to apply, and if your kitty gets used to the treatment young (like Gracie did), he probably won't even put up a fuss. You also want to take that collar and put it to use by putting a piece in your vacuum bag, and vacuuming the carpet. That is the only thing that collar really works well with (sad but true).
  • bobbi pillarbobbi pillar St. PaulMember Posts: 2
    Accepted Answer
    If u dont have alot of money buy dawn dish soap the reguler the blue stuff they dont like it and will jump right out just give the cat a bath with it.
  • susan parteesusan partee JonesboroMember Posts: 7
    Accepted Answer
    To help with fleas with my little one I used a flea shampoo that was safe for younger kittens. She hates getting a bath but this was the safest way to take care of the fleas.
  • Jen ForeseJen Forese RidgewoodMember Posts: 17
    Accepted Answer
    when our "children" were very small and had fleas the vet told us to use johnson and johnson lavender baby shampoo. it wont irritate the cat and it does rid the cat of fleas. if you are afraid of using frontline an so forth try using that.