Why does she ONLY accept female cats?

Rachael GabanskiRachael Gabanski Des PlainsMember Posts: 61
I have a 2 year old female cat who is used to other cats that we have in the house., Next, i adopted a 1 year old female, who came into the house with no problems at all. No hissing, nothing. Next we got a 6 month old male kitten. Fur flew everywhere! My 2 year old hated him! Now we introduced a brother and sister who are 1 year old into the house. Well, she only hates the male again. Why?

Best Answers

• Katrina LeeKatrina Lee Member Posts: 29
    Accepted Answer
    Have these guys been neutered? Testosterone gives male cats a strong odor. It's only natural for females to not want toms around (unless they're in heat, of course ... and even then, it seems like something they are driven to do, but don't reallly enjoy). If they're not neutered, that completely explains it. If they are, maybe your girl was bullied by a male, or just doesn't want to be dominated (as males, even neutered ones, are more likely than females to do). Cats retain the lessons we've learned from experience much longer than dogs or people - in fact, for our entire lives. We are very imprintable, emotionally. At least she knows what she wants, and isn't afraid to say so!
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Actually, the standard advice when getting a new cat is to get one who is younger than the resident cat and the opposite sex. Obviously that doesn't always work out. However, females often get into hissy fits and act catty towards one another, and males often have problems establishing who the alpha male is. In my multi-cat household, the only one who picks on the others is Harvey, but he hates kittens, rather than any particular sex. Everyone else gets along fine. Anyway, I think every situation is unique. I agree that it could be the result of something that happened in her past. If she's spayed and he isn't neutered (I'm assuming he is, though), that could explain the hissing--directed towards unwanted sexual advances. As for males dominating the females--that's not always true, either. Spike lets the ladies eat first and then digs in. Every cat is different. How long has this been going on? Maybe they'll resolve the matter themselves once they get used to each other.
  • Krystal MoriartyKrystal Moriarty MuncieMember Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    This is actually a parallel question - I have a 4 year old female (unspayed right now) and we got a 4 mo. old male about 2 mos. ago (also not fixed - yet) At the time, we had 2 females, but my son took one back with him about a month ago. The remaining female (Gracie) HATES this male cat (Mittens) with a passion. He torments her all day. Not to "mate" ... he just wants to play. If she is getting attention from us - he jumps up to get it too, which makes her angry. She growls and hisses at him any time he gets close. Occasionally, I find them sleeping next to each other and begin to hope they are bonding - until she goes to leave the space - and he follows her. Last night, hubby noticed she is shedding really bad. I'd heard that stress will make a cat lose more hair than normal. True? What can we do? Will it come down to fixing one or both of them? Unfortunately, just after we acquired Mittens, hubby's work dropped off. Hoping to afford it soon. Gracie (and me) thank you!