I just got my two male cats fixed and they are wanting to go out side badly what should i do they ar

They are 9 months old have been outside kitties for about 7 of those months and love it we live on a farm but we got them fixed so they would stop spreying and it hasnt even been a day but the are freaking to get out side what should i do I feel bad for them

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Most vets recommend that animals who've had surgery, even males who have been neutered, take it 'easy' for at least a week. I understand that if your cats are used to being outside, they're really anxious to get back to their "business". If you see those cats every day and you can check on their surgery sites to make sure there's no infection, it probably wouldn't hurt to let them out. But I have to warn you that letting them out may increase the chance of them getting an infection as they'll be out in the dirt, etc. And, if they are on any medications, you may not be able to give it to them if you let them out and they take off. Your best advisor is the vet who did the neutering as they know if there were any complications with the surgery and they know your cats' health. Thank you for having them neutered. Not only will it cut down on the spraying, but it will also stop them from making unwanted kittens!
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    It can take up to a month after the surgery for the testosterone that causes them to spray to actually be depleted. If spraying is a big problem, you might just have to crate them in a large cage with their own litterbox for a few days (3-4 days ought to do it, since neutering is not as complex as spaying, so the incisions are usually smaller). Don't worry, they will both mellow down eventually and get over their imprisonment soon.