How do I keep my cat from "missing" his litterbox

My cat seems to like going #1&2 outside the litterbox. Sometimes he pees in the living room so how do I make him stop.

Best Answer

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    If he was using the litter box before and all of the sudden stopped, there are a few reasons why he may be doing this. One is that he may have a bladder infection and it hurts to pee and he is associating the litter box with pain. You need to take him to his vet for a diagnoses and antibiotics. Another is that the litter box isn't kept clean. When he pees in the livingroom, you need to clean it up with a solution called "Nature's Miracle" (Petsmart) to destroy the odor. If he can smell where he went, he will continue to go there. If he isn't "fixed", he may be marking his territory. Cats use pee and poo to do that. Finally, if anything has changed in his life (new pet, new house, workmen in the house, children around, new brand of litter or litter box he doesn't like etc.) stress can make him go outside the box. When you take him to the vet to have him tested for an infection, tell your vet what he is doing. Your vet will have an idea of how to make him use his box.