My 3 mo old male, Dax, is an indoor cat. He has started bolting for the door to go outside now.

Once he is out, it is impossible to get him back in. He loves to hunt and play. My problem is that he is litter box trained and seems to only go in the litter box (and not outside). When I finally get him inside he runs straight to the box and goes potty like he has been holding it all day. Will he eventually learn to potty outside? Thanks!

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    PLEASE consider keeping him as an indoor only cat. They live much longer healthier lives as I am sure My friend Izzie's mom will tell you. Her Ernie was hit by a car last year and she lost him. He started out by sneaking out too and she SO regrets not forcing him to stay indoors. If Dax really must go out and you want him to go potty outdoors, you can try placing a litterbox in the garden area where you would like him to go. Then switch to just a mound of litter in that area on the dirt. And then eventually he may get the idea of digging in the dirt to go potty. But please think about the diseases and other hazards such as wild animals, stray dogs and especially cars before you decide to allow him to be an outdoor kitty. PS. I also do not appreciate my neighbor's cats pooping in my gardens so please also consider your neighbors before encouraging Dax to go potty outside.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Allie is so right on all counts. I just visited Ernie's page to see his new Catster Rainbow badge and I still cried over losing him. He would also bolt out the door when I let the dogs out and it was impossible to stop him without locking him up in another room each time I opened the patio door. (If I'd known he'd get hit, I certainly WOULD have no matter what a pain it would have been.) Plus, we have a cat (who has a collar/owner) who regularly poops under our dining room window. Whenever we use the dining room, I have to go out and dig up his "litter box" to bury his waste and cover the smell. I don't know who his owner is, but I'd certainly have a few words for them.
  • Sarah MSarah M SalemMember Posts: 2
    Accepted Answer
    I don't know, but you could always just keep him inside. My cat used to bolt for the door, but it's not impossible to keep a cat like that inside and the more they fail to get out, the more they will stop trying. Here are a few methods you can try for keeping your kitty inside. 1) If there's another person home, have them hold the cat when you leave. 2) If the cat is good at opening doors that are cracked open, put the cat in another room and let the cat find its way out. The cat might not immediately realize the door is only cracked open. 3) Pick up the cat when you are about to leave. Open the door and stand on the other side of it. Place the cat facing away from the opening, on the other side of the door and then close the door. Once the cat realizes you are going to keep him inside, You will only need to be looking at the cat as you leave... or at least that's how it worked for me and my cat.
  • nati bastidasnati bastidas CaliMember Posts: 470 ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    He'll probably ge tthe hang of it. But right nowthe dirt doesnt have his smell on it so you could get a bit of his litter and scatter it on the dirt so he'll smell the familiar litter smell and go outdoors. A friend of mommy's had a cat , Mambroo , that is indoors-outdoors and has a litter box but he also goes outside , they got him when he was a kitten too and he learned to go outside. Depending on where you live , he could go outside or you might have to keep him indoors only. For example, I am indoors-outdoors but I live in such a special situation where it is nearly impossible for me to get rrun over by a car , or attacked by any other animals. I am happy and healthy and have all my shots. But think , are there predators like coyotes or wolves in your area? Do ppl let dogs run loose , or are there other otudoor-indoor cats who might pick a fight? Are the neighbors cat friendly ppl? Do you live in an area with lots of traffic? And always wear a collar so ppl know you're a pet. michi