Flea/Tick Advantix?

We have 2 corgis in our house and recently got a kitten. I applied the dogs flea/tick meds about 9 hours ago and was wondering if it was safe for the cat to be around the dogs. The cat and dogs do not groom each other or things like that, but she likes to something be on their bedding. I'm thinking of just washing the dog bedding as far as that goes but is it safe?

Best Answers

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Tova should be OK as she doesn't groom the dogs and won't get any of the dog flea meds directly on her. Changing the dog bedding is a good idea to be on the safe side in case the meds rub off on the bedding. By the way, Tova is very cute.
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevilleMember Posts: 2,200
    Accepted Answer
    Ah Tova is adorable, congrats on the new arrival. Your kitten should be fine but don't forget about getting her on flea prevention as well. There is a application that is safe for kittens, so ask your vet about that. Keeping treated pets away from other animals and children until the area is dried will ensure no ingestion. I do Miss Meany and the dog at night before bed, so they don't feel the need to cuddle right after application. As long as Tova doesn't groom your dogs all should be good. Have a good one.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Once it's dried, it should be fine as the others said unless Tova grooms them. Now that you have a cat, it might be a good idea to discuss a different brand of Flea & Tick medicine for your dogs with your vet. Advantix contains permethrin which is toxic to cats. I use Frontline Plus on my dog which does not contain it so if they did come in contact with it, it would not hurt my cats. I still make him hang out in the yard for a while until it dries comepletely because he likes to roll on the run to get the smell off. But I feel safer knowing the prodcut would not hurt them anyway.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Flea preventatives soak into the skin and dry very quickly. Actually, it's not safe for Tova to ingest the medications, but I doubt if she would actually lick it off the dog or the bedding. It has an incredibly bitter taste and she'd shy away from it after one try. It wouldn't hurt to wash the dog's bedding. If there was any chance that they actually had fleas, Tova stands a better chance of getting fleas from the bedding than getting any preventative. She IS a little sweetie!
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    Please be extremely careful using dog flea and tick meds around cats and kittens. It is very dangerous! There are special formulas for cats and special ones for dogs. Keep an eye on the kitten for the first few days and yes, wash the bedding. If you decide to put flea medication on your kitten, make sure your kitten is old enough (usually 12 weeks) and make sure it is for kittens! Best of luck with your new kitten!