Here is a hard one: i have a goose down comforter that has been around my kitten ever since he came

two days ago, he decided to pee right in the middle of it when he was locked in a room for about half hour, so I thought that he just couldn't hold it. i washed the comforter, there is no smell. i laid it out yesterday to air out, he pees right in the same spot again. what do i do do make him stop? is it something with goose feathers and cats? please help. Darina

Best Answers

• Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    If you just washed the comforter without treating the stain, I've got news for you: it still smells like pee to him, and it's telling him "this is an ok spot to go". So here's what you do: get something like Nature's Miracle (available at most pet stores), and follow the "laundry" directions on the back of the bottle. Since washing without treating first might have set the stain in, you want to make sure to really pre-treat that spot throughly. Hopefully that will do the trick. But it's also not impossible that you can't reverse the problem now, in which case you might have no choice but to get rid of the comforter to get rid of the problem. Meanwhile, also be watchful to make sure he's not using any other spots to pee in. If you discover any, that's a red flag that he's not feeling good, and needs to see a vet to make sure he doesn't have a urinary tract infection. Good luck.
  • Susan DaveySusan Davey Romeoville, ILMember Posts: 2
    Accepted Answer
    85% of the time that a cat who used to use the litter box starts peeing outside of the box it is because the cat has a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection). Cats are masters at hiding pain, but it is very painful for them to urinate when they have a UTI. They tend to look for softer and/or cooler surfaces to pee on when they have UTIs. (I know, it does not make sense to humans, but it makes sense to cats!) In any case, I am sure you do not want your cat to be in pain and you do not want your cat to continue peeing outside of the box. So, please, have her checked out by a vet ASAP for your sake and hers! If she has a UTI, the vet needs to determine precisely the type of infection (bacterial, fungal, etc.) and provide the correct medication to conquer the infection. To clean the spots where she has peed, buy Nature's Miracle. It *does* work. Like the directions state, it can take up to a month for the odor to disappear completely, but it will.