Post Spay/Neuter Playing/Licking

My sister, Athena and I got spayed and neutered today. We're both 3 months old, and are hyper and are playing like nothing happened. We've also licked at our stitches a little bit, but our Mom heard that som licking is okay. Is that true? Should my sister and I be wearing a cone collar (I hope not!). Also, our Mom wants to make sure that we aren't playing too roughly with each other, since no one wants anyone else getting hurt, but she doesn't want to separate us since we wouldn't have a second litter box/food and water bowl, etc... Also, we've never been separated before. My Mom says she'll buy stuff if it's absolutely necessary. Can you help us all out? Thanks! And wish Athena and I speedy and safe recoveries. Meows and Purrs!

Best Answer

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    A little bit of licking is ok but if you are constantly licking or making the skin red then you'll need a cone collar. You surgery is much less major than your sisters so the danger is that you feel better quicker and start to play too rough. Its probably fine being together when your mum can supervise and make sure its not too rough. If you play a bit rough while she's there it probably is a good idea to separate you while no ones there to keep an eye on you. Its a good idea to get a second litter box anyway and your mum can just use human dishes for your food for a couple of days (or Dollar Tree does great cheap dishes if she doesn't like the idea of sharing dishes!) You guys should heal quickly and you mum just needs to check you regularly to maek sure there's no redness, swelling or loose stitches as that could mean an infection or issue with the stitches that require a vet check/antibiotics.