Using Spot Flea Treatments and kitty mohawk

Sara ShakkedSara Shakked JerusalemMember Posts: 111
I've been using them, and they only seem to be partially working (Frontline). When I put the drops on, I do part the fur, and manage to see some skin, but after they are on, he ends up with hair like it has gel in it on the back of his neck, like a kitty mohawk. (I call him the punk kitty when he has that.) Do these always do this, or does this mean it's just going on the fur and not on the skin where it needs to be? If it isn't, how in the world do you really get it on their skin? I can only part enough to see a little skin at once...not enough for the vial. It ALWAYS gets on the fur after it's on for a minute or two. Anyway, I think I'll switch to Advantage next time and hope it works better.

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Frontline, or any drops you apply to the back of the neck between the shoulder blades do dry to a stiff consistency. After a day or so, it can be brushed smooth. Advantage will do the same thing. It does soak into the skin, but does leave that stiff residue. It's no big deal, really. . I've been using Frontline Plus on my animals for years and they've never had fleas.
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevilleMember Posts: 2,200
    Accepted Answer
    I as well use Frontline for Miss Meany and it's always a two person job to get the task done. One person to hold her while I apply the solution. I part her fur between the shoulder blades and place the appilcator tip right on the skin. This is when Miss Meany knows something is up, she hates it. I quickly dispense the whole thing directly on the skin. One quick squirt and it's all over with. Holding her still makes her mad but it's the only way I can properly treat her. I find maybe it's a little crusty but nothing major. Have a good one.