Bet you never had one like this. i dyed my hair and somehow he got some on his white fur. tried wash

should i try cutting the fur out? He has a few spots of dye.

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    I would just wash the areas to make sure the chemical is washed out so he won't lick it and get sick and then leave it alone. It will eventually wear off or be shed out. A bald patch will look worse than a dyed spot. If you do trim the area, please be careful and don't get too close to the skin with the scissors. I injured Bailey badly and ended up in the kitty ER for surgery to stitch it back up when I tried to cut poop out of her tail last year. When you pull on the hair, it "tents" the skin and you can cut them badly. I never used scissors again.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Please visit my Ernie's page (accessible through Izzie's"family" listing) and look at the photo of him with the white stripe up his head between his eyes. He got under my ladder when I was painting a few years ago and got in the way of a wayward drop of paint. When I tried to wipe it off, I left a stripe right between his eyes. I couldn't wash it off because you can't use soap on a cat's head without risking getting it in his eyes. So, we just called him "Pepe Le Pew" until it wore off!
  • Richard AbramsRichard Abrams WeleetkaMember Posts: 4
    Accepted Answer
    Here are a couple of improvements to the answers previously given about dealing with dyed cat hair and hygiene. Try using "kitty wipes" that are designed for washing paws, ears or other small areas. Cats and scissors don't mix! Buy some electric pet grooming shears for around $30 available in most discount department stores. These work best for cutting out any feces that becomes stuck to their fur. The Kitty Wipes do a nice job of removing any remaining residue. FYI: My brother and I have long, thick fur so my human gives me a "bikini cut" but my brother insists that he is sporting a "continental cut". He's so vain!