I adopted a three legged cat in May. I am having a slight problem with him stepping in his business

he does he tears throughout the house tracking "stuff" everywhere. This is creating some tension between my husband and I and might lead to bringing Toby back to the humane society which is the last thing I want to do. I have tried different types of litter which doesn't seem to matter. I pick up after Toby almost each & every time he goes. Its only happened about 5 or 6 times which is a lot when you have to do tons of cleaning not to mention bathe the cat when this happens. Maybe he will grow out of this habit or I am thinking maybe its due to the fact of having only three legs (hope not). Any three legged cat owners out there who have had this problem and hopefully a remedy for it?

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    I don't think it's related to being three legged but it may be that he can't balance as well. If it's solid poo, it shouldn't be as easy to track or to get it stuck so I am wondering if the poor guy has a digestive issue going on? My kitten steps in her own poop just because she hasn't caught on to the whole process yet. She stumbles in it as she's trying to bury it and gets it on her feet. So maybe due to his accident, he is a slow learner. I would try putting a mat in front of the box that is easy to clean but will scrape off the poop. Turn the box away from the door and as far into the room as you can so he has farther to go before he is tracking it elsewhere in the house. Hubby needs to get a little patience. It's not like poor Toby is doing it on purpose. Good luck with both of them. :)
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Toby's litter box may be too deep for him to enter and exit comfortably, causing pieces of litter and feces to stick to him. You may also have too much litter in the box. Most cats prefer only about 1/2 inch or so of litter. Some concessions need to be made for a "tripod" kitty, but for the most part, they live their lives like normal cats. Btw--tell hubby to lighten up and pitch in.