Peeing in clean clothes hamper?

My 4 year old has two issues. I'm not sure if they are related. She pukes her food up after she eats a bowl of food. And now more recently, she's started peeing on my son's clean laundry basket. We've had issues with her peeing on the wet towel from the bathroom floor, but hanging that up when done helped that issue. Please help! She's on her last life with my husband. I don't want her to go, but i might not be able to keep her if this keeps up.

Best Answers

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Peeing outside the litter box is often a medical issue so take her to the vets to check if she has a urinary tract infection, inflamation or crystals in her urine. Throwing up right after she eats is probably because she's eating too fast. You could try leaving her dry food all the time so she knows she doesn't have to bolt it down. You may need to transition to this by feeding more/smaller meals. You can also add something like a golf ball to her food dish that gets in the way and will make her eat more slowly but is too big to accidentally swallow. If you take her to the vet to check for the UTI you can ask about the puking too in case they are related.
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevilleMember Posts: 2,200
    Accepted Answer
    Miss Meany as well used to eat and immediately puke up undigested food, but leaving her bowl full of food at all times allows her to nibble when she wants and no more puking. As Sassy mentioned a vet check should be order to rule out an UTI. If this test comes back negative and Cutie has a clean bill of health, we need to start looking at things to change this behaviour. Some cats are attracted to the smell of bleach, so if she's peeing on your whites, stop using it. I have also heard some cats may possibly pee in a plastic hamper, something about it smelling like ammonia, so switching to a wicker one may help. Let us know how she is doing, hopefully together we can all find a solution. Have a good one.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    The other posters have given you good advice. First, go to the vet. The inappropriate elimination could be a medical or behavioral issue. I'm assuming that Cutie's litter box is being kept pristine. If not, that could cause her to want to "go" in a cleaner place. I assume that she's been spayed--unspayed females mark their territory just as males do. It appears that Cutie is an only cat, which means that she's not objecting to using a litter box used by another cat. (This happened to me, and I had to rehome Pookie because she refused to use either of the litter boxes provided for her and Spike.) Marking with urine can be caused by stress. Has anything changed in your household recently? Harvey started pooping on anything with my odor on it when Leila's kittens were born. In any event, go to the vet (and I hope you have a good one), get a health check, and IF you have the means to consult an animal behavioralist, that might not be a bad idea. Good luck.
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    Accepted Answer
    Please check out this website on litter box issues, it may help: http://catinfo.org/litterbox.htm