indoor cat coming outdoors only while you are there; is that possible?

Member Posts: 2
I have a kittie (saved from death at age 4 weeks through the Humane Society), so the kitten had no mother and siblings to speak of... I am it. I also have a dog. The cat and the dog love each other and are both primarily indoor animals but I am concerned that when the dog goes out (and she has learned to open the door), the cat will follow (now 14 weeks old). How can I allow the kitten out such that she stays with us (or at least with the dog) and does not leave the yard? I don't want to put her in a cage, nor can I fence with corrugated material because the yard is large and the tree branches hang out of the yard. Can an indoor cat "sometimes" spend time outdoors with us and not disappear out of sight?

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    You could try a harness and lead to bring your cat outdoors safely with you. It helps to start them young for leash training. It depends on the cat. Many people let their cats go outside and they stay in the garden area. But if she sees something that interests her she can run off and be in the road in seconds. I believe that some indoor cats are happier indoors when they don't go out at all. Most of mine love the windows and are curious when they see me outside but they stay indoors. If I pick them up and walk outside they cling to me for dear life. But Chelsea seems to think she belongs outside. So I let her come out on the deck sometimes with me. But then when I don't let her come, I hear her inside yelling at the door and sometimes she claws at it to go out. When she's on the deck, I have to watch her constantly because if she sees the dog run by, she tries to follow. My yard is fenced but she could still easily get out and I won't take that chance.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    If you can harness train your kitten, that would be ideal. When Ernie used to bolt out my door at first (also went out with the dogs) he stayed around. But, I have to believe he soon got bored with "just" our yard and began to roam. On one occasion, he was gone all weekend and on Monday came sauntering in with the dogs! Last August, he lost a race across the street with a car. Outdoor cats do face other dangers as well and usually don't live past the age of 5. In addition, if she is not yet spayed, she could present you with a litter of unwanted kittens. If your dog opens the door, replace the lock or use a hook and eye lock so she cannot open it. I've never harness trained a cat, but other Catsters have and can give you good advice on that if that's how you want to go. But I can almost guarantee you that even though she stays around now, she'll start to wander to other yards before you know it.
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevilleMember Posts: 2,200
    Accepted Answer
    Miss Meany for the most part is happy about being outside in our screened in porch but she does occassionally like to venture out in the yard when we are relaxing by the pool. I purchased a harness and a 30 foot leash which I attach to my clothesline, she has full run of the pool yard. This keeps her happy being outside where the action is and keeps me happy knowing she is safe. Have a good one.