Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Going outside the box

I really, really need help here. My cat keeps avoiding the litter box, and has been for awhile. She has now marked a huge part of the carpet and it smells. I've tried cleaning it, and she keeps using it. She has been checked out and has no health problems- I keep the litterbox, which she shares with one other cat, psychotically clean. I'm sure by now she just thinks that the carpet is her litterbox. I don't know what to do- I can't live like this anymore. I love this cat so much but I am at the end of the rope here- please. Any suggestions. I'm crying as I type this because I feel like I will inevitably have to give her to the shelter. Replacing the carpet is not an option.

Best Answers

• Mary Pat MacdonaldMary Pat Macdonald Member Posts: 14
    Accepted Answer
    As long as you have taken your cat to the vet and gotten the clean bill of health, I will address some other possibilities. If your cat can smell any residual urine from the last time she urinated on the carpet, she will continue to use that area. There are some cleaners on the market that not only remove the urine stain, but also the scent of her marking. This is important because she will continue to mark if she can smell even a trace of her urine. Another possibility is if you are really working very hard to keep the litter box clean, maybe the " clean" smell is too overwhelming for her. Cats are super finicky about smells. I have a cat that won't use the litter box if I use a certain litter. So I would try those two things. Try making sure that the carpet is urine smell free - not only to you, but to her too. Then try unscented litter and using cleaning products that aren't too pungent. Good Luck!
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevilleMember Posts: 2,200
    Accepted Answer
    Ah poor you. I can feel your sadness in your question. I have never had experience with this problem but maybe I can think something up in this brain of mine. Here is a link for something that works GREAT for removing that nasty urine smell from your carpet. I used it for my pup. http://www.catsofaustralia.com/urinestainremoval.htm I would maybe get the cat her own litterbox. After cleaning her pee spot extremely well, possibly placing it on top of her regular marking place and then slowly moving it away may help. Having a litterbox in the middle of the room may seem odd to visitors but whatever works. If you have changed the brand of litter recently than maybe switching back could help. Some cats also don't like the scented litter. Are you cleaning the litter box with any cleaners, maybe this is bothering her. Maybe the litter box has a cover possibly removing it may make her feel more at ease. All my best to you.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Don't panic. This is probably the most common problem that we hear about here on the Answer Board. There are a few things you can try. Some are more extreme than others. The most extreme is to buy a large dog cage, outfit it with a litter box and food and put her in it (or you can put her in a bathroom). She will be forced to use the box. Make sure the box is in a private area. Cats feel vulnerable when they use the box and want privacy and safety. Absolutely get her her own box. You know how unpleasant it is to go to a public restroom where the previous user hasn't flushed. You can have your carpet cleaned professionally or rent a machine and use Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution in it. There are companies who specialize in pet stains/odors. Did your vet do a urine check? That is usually not part of a regular check-up. Make sure that you spend lots of quality time playing with and even grooming her. Make sure the other cat doesn't harrass her. Good luck & let us know.
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    Accepted Answer
    All good suggestions from the other posters. Here is a website that might help you: http://catinfo.org/litterbox.htm Good luck.