Should i declaw my kitten or just cut his nails?

Member Posts: 2
I just got a 2 month old kitten and he's scratching at everything including me so i was wondering should i just declaw him or cut his nails regularly?

Best Answers

• Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    Please do not declaw your kitten! Declawing is a very painful and traumatic surgery. If you research it you will find it is like us having our fingers amputated at the first knuckle. Cats have been known to to develop behavior problems such as biting and litter box avoidance after being declawed too. Trim his nails regularly. If you're not sure how, have your vet show you. There are also Soft Paws nail caps you can get. I've used them before and they work great. Work with him to use a scratching post. If you catch him scratching something he shouldn't - tell him "No!" and take him to his scratcher. Eventually, he WILL get the idea. Sticky Paws double sided tape can also discourage him from scratching the furniture. You said he's also scratching you -never encourage rough play. Tell him "No!" or make a yelp sound. Then ignore him for a little while if he scratches or nips. That will send him the message - that hurt!
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    Accepted Answer
    Mr. Fez gives excellent advice. You can read about declawing on this website:http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with the others. Delawing is inhumane and cruel. Please do not do this to your cat. I have 6 cats with claws and none of them scratch anything except their scratching posts. I have a cat tree made with sisal rope wrapped around the poles and they love it. A scratching post needs to be sturdy so that it will not tip. When you see the cat clawing something else, tell him NO and then show him his scratching post. Cats prefer different surfaces. Mine were taught to use sisal. But some prefer a carpeted post, some like the simple cardboard scratcher boxes you can get at places like Wal Mart, some like wooden scratching posts. But they can be taught to scratch appropriately. Mine get up in the morning and run to stretch and scratch on their cat trees. I also trim their claws which is easier to do when you start at an early age.
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevilleMember Posts: 2,200
    Accepted Answer
    Miss Meany was declawed before I adopted her. I thought declawing was a simple procedure, a matter of simply removing the nail, one day I decided to research how this is done. Well it was a horrible painful surgery, she endured. They amputated the end digits of each toe. I feel so bad for my cat who had to go through this simply because of the previous owners selfish choice. I hear some vets now use laser which is less painful (pain is pain) and healing time is quicker but I still think this surgery is unnecessary. Here is a link you can read. http://www.petstation.com/declaw.html I stand firm on my thinking that declawing should become illegal, we should follow these countries..http://www.declawing.com/list.html and spay/neutering a family pet should become mandatory
  • mary crummary crum Member Posts: 68
    Accepted Answer
    Ok this is my outlook on it Declawing is very safe and is not crule. If your cat has had pain like everbody here has said its a bad vet. I had my cat declawed and she acted as if nothing had even hapend to her. She runs plays and a mouse got in the house she got it and killed it. I now have a nother kitten I'm geting her declawed as soon as she gets 7 to 8 mounths old. she to is scratching at everything to. I have saraching post with catnip in them she uses them but still scratching at everything.
  • Nichole SanfordNichole Sanford ripleyMember Posts: 647
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with the last poster I had sophie declawed when she was a kitten at 6 mounths old we got a puppy and she was playng with and poped in the eye and cut its eye so we did it the next week she did fine with she it did not change her at all and she has no problem with the litterbox. If you are un sure about declawing you can talk to your vet.
  • Heather FisherHeather Fisher Member Posts: 10
    Accepted Answer
    You don't say whether your kitty is an indoor only cat. Please remember claws are a natural defense for cats. If you cat goes outside at all he/she will have no defense against other animals and no way to do something as simple as climbing a tree to get away from an attack. Regardless of that, how would you like to have your fingers and toes amputated at the first knuckle.