A question about weather and cats

Ok, experienced catsters. A question: how comfortable are cats with temperatures above 90 F? We just moved to Seattle, and our apartment is not air conditioned (none of the ones we looked at were, and we live in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in town), and as it turns out, we've got a heatwave on our hands. I'm not sure how hot it is outside, but it's well over 88 F with a couple of fans working overtime. We've been drinking a lot more, and eating a little less (not a lot of difference, just less), generally have been lazy cats. How hot is dangerously hot for us? Mom's tempted to put us in the car where we have air conditioning, so that she can keep us comfortable but is not sure where that threshold comes in (typist's note: btw, before this we lived with central air conditioning, so even the cats miss it!). Any guidance?

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I have to believe that cats and dogs are just as uncomfortable as we are when the weather is up around 80 or 90 F. However, today in Cleveland, Ohio it was around 90 and Delilah was lying in the sun in the den and not panting! Take precautions with the cats as you would with yourself. Make sure their water is always fresh and cool. Don't over feed. If it seems to you that Boris or Gracie is acting "weird" and you think it's because of the heat, call the vet. But, since neither cat works outside or spends any time outside, I don't think heatstroke is a big worry for them. My Golden is 11 and she's not that bothered by the heat. She lies on the cool marble foyer floor or on the bathroom tile most of the day and only goes outside when she has to. Of course we don't play fetch with the dogs or intense laser/feather teaser with the cats on these days. Common sense prevails with our animals as well as with us when the temps are this high.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    They should be OK as long as they plenty of fresh water since they are young and healthy. You can put ice cubes in their water dishes to make it more appealing. Will your landlord allow you to install an A/C window unit or ceiling fans? That may be an option if its uncomfortable for you.