My 14 month-old cats are pooping on my couch. What can I do to get this to stop?

My 14 month-old cats are pooping on my couch. What can I do to get this to stop? It's not everyday and I don't know which one it is. I've read and tried several methods - covering the couch with a tarp so they wouldn't like the sound of it when they climb on it, putting their favorite blankets and toys on the couch (since kitties normally don't poop where they like to sleep), etc. What else can I try? Nothing has changed in our household that I can think of that would be causing stress, same kitty litter brand, same kitty litter box, no new people, they are still eating the same and have the same amount of energy and being very loving and cuddly...This issue is starting to wreak havoc on my marriage and my life. The stress of it is starting to really wear me down. Any suggestions? Please help!

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I've heard that you can put crayon shavings in their food (a different color for each cat) and when poop winds up where it shouldn't be, you can tell which one it is by the color of the crayon shavings in it. Make sure your cats are neutered and checked out by the vet, including anal glands. These can become impacted and if it hurts to poop in the box, they'll go someplace else. Cats also use feces to mark their territory, so if they're not neutered, they could be doing that. (Neutered cats will also mark, btw.) If this something that's just come up, you need to check with your vet first.
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    Accepted Answer
    There are a lot of suggestions on this website: http://catinfo.org/litterbox.htm Maybe something can help you. Good luck!