my 4 month old cat has a black spot in its mouth along the lower gum line what should i do?

Emily StegmeierEmily Stegmeier Des PlainesMember Posts: 2
its brownish black and its not that big

Best Answers

• Karina GressKarina Gress Member Posts: 402
    Accepted Answer
    Has it always been there? It is very common for cats with black spots/coloring to have darker spots/coloring in their mouth, on their gums, nose, feet, etc. Both my black cats have dark gray spots on the roofs of their mouths, and my gray and white cat has speckled lips. Your kitty has a dark nose, so it may just be a pigmentation spot. If it's a new spot, you should see the vet or at least talk to him/her.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Louies's right, cats with dark spots/stripes in their fur often have dark spots on the skin on their mouth. My tabby/tortie cats all have dark patches on their gums/roof of their mouths and its very common. Since Cookie has a black patch of fur on her head thats probably what it is. To be safe ask the vet to check it out when you get Cookie's rabies shots done. They'll be able to confirm its normal just by looking and then you'll know for sure its nothing to worry about.
  • Merriam BrockerMerriam Brocker Member Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    If its a growth or raised in any way, then you should go to the vet soon.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Well, I just inspected the mouths of those of my ten cats and kittens who are dark in color (including my 10 day old kittens) and most of them had black areas inside their mouths. I wouldn't worry, but you might mention it to the vet the next time you go.