What would cause a healthy cat to throw up every day? Doesn't eat things like plants or carpet or di

Sarah LundleySarah Lundley OaklandMember Posts: 894
I have a 14 yr old gray and white tuxedo cat who has been the picture of health. Early last year I noticed he was dropping some weight, but I didn't think much of it. Then around summer time he looked like an old cat. Back claws kind of sticking out (which they never did before), hind legs kind of lower to the ground when he stands and thin, thin, thin. My big boy is no longer big. He's always been a cat that throws up about 2-3 times a week, sometimes less, but no big deal. Now he throws up every day at any time. There are little white specks in it, but that's the only thing odd in it. He's not eating anything out of the ordinary--plants, materials, etc. He's eating totally normally and pooping normally and is his normal self, minus suddenly being old. I have an appt with my vet this week, but what could be causing his every day puking and are the white specks a clue as to anything? Could it be a thyroid thing? I just hate having him throw up all the time and I hate how thin he looks.

Best Answers

• Cady CalamityCady Calamity Member Posts: 214
    Accepted Answer
    He needs to see a vet. This isn't something we can help you with without endangering your cat. If he's throwing up every day, he's not healthy. It could be that the white specks are a clue to what he's eating that you don't see (Emily liked the netting off my dresses) or it could mean something else entirely. You're doing the right thing taking him to a vet. Cats get dehydrated very quickly and he's not getting essential nutrients if he throws them up. This is no light matter, this is an emergency especially since it's daily.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    Accepted Answer
    You need to take your cat to the vet ASAP something called hepatic lipidosis can happen if this is not treated quickly. It could be alot of things, IBD could be one of them. What are you feeding?? There are alot of things that cats can become allergic to in todays pet foods. YOu should really try to switch to a high protein grain free wet diet. Something like Wellness or Evo wet food. Read this site called catinfo.org it is very educating about feline nutrition.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Shadow and Orange Julius are right. We aren't vets here, and although we truly sympathize with you and your kitty, he really needs to see his vet. It may be as simple as switching him to a food that will go easier on his senior citizen digestive system. But, you need your vet's advice.

Comments

• What was the outcome? This sounds exactly like what is happening with my cat, and we've been to the vet a few times, with no clear conclusion.