How to treat CRF or CRI (chronic reneal faliture)

My ami is 16 years old. Recently, the vet said that she might be CRF (chronic reneal faliture). And test report shows that herBUN is 10.8mmol; CRE is 252 u mol. I am so sad and frustrated. I want to know if there is any drugs or treatment for CRF.

Best Answers

  • Jennifer HearinJennifer Hearin Member Posts: 1,939
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Amy, Here are a couple of links with some information for you. It is a common condition with older cats. Sending you both lots of purrs across the globe to China (you are in Beijing? wow)
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Here is a really good site with lots of information on CRF in cats A lot of the info you'll see is from the US which uses different units to measure BUN etc. This site has a good conversion tool that should help you I'm not sure what treatments are available in Beijing but here are treatments in the US that you should discuss with your vet. Low protein cat food. You can probably get this shipped from the US if its not available locally, my cats liked the Purina NF one best Sub-cutaneous Fluids (saline or lactated ringers). CRF cats often pee a lot and can get dehydrated. You can do the fluids at home and your vet can show you how. It just has to go under the skin and not into a vein so is easy. Various meds if specific blood values are too high/low. I'm also going to invite you to a Catster group called Olde Furts which has a lot of older cats with CRF
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to the new Catster Community!

Introduce the community to your pet with our Pet Profiles and discover how to use the new community with our Getting Started pages!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!