Cat worms

My cat has worms .. they were little white worms in her poop and i seen them around her butt.. I have to take her to the vet tommorow.. im just wondering though since i adopted her a couple of months ago so i dont know how long she had them, would having the worms result in loosing fur? I have noticed she is loosing fur on her ears and nose? Thank you!

Best Answer

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I can't fnd anything that would say worms cause hair loss in cats. The only "worm" that might is ringworm, and that's a virus and not really a worm. All kittens and puppies are born with worms. They are usually wormed at 6 wks., 8 wks, and 10 wks. and the owner then needs to take a poop sample to the vets for testing at each visit thereafter. A lot of shelters worm once and then leave it up to the new owner's vet to deworm after that. If your cat hasn't been to the vet since you adopted her, she probably never completely got rid of the worms. As for the hair loss, the vet may want to test her for ringworm. It spreads like wildfire in shelter situations. It can also be a food allergy, a contact allergy or stress from the adoption. Best ask the vet to examine her to make sure what it is and give you the right meds for her.