How do I get our second cat to use the litter box properly?

We adopted Mia, a 6 year old Tabby, 2 months ago. It was stressful for her as her previous owner was no longer able to care for her. She has a very sweet disposition and seemed to settle in. But there is one big problem! Her food and litter box are in a separate room from our other cat, Andy's. When she was first here and was the only one going in her box (Andy now seems to like to use both, but she won't use his) things were fine. Now, even though I clean it out, after every possible use, she will pee in it, but, will defecate on the rug anywhere from beside the box to 3-4 feet away from the box. How do I stop this? I would like to move them both to the same box (it is one of those "self-cleaning" ones, which is so less time consuming! I'm afraid if I take away her box she will start peeing all over the place as well. Help!

Best Answer

• Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    Accepted Answer
    It's common for cats with medical problems to begin eliminating outside of their litter box. For example, a urinary tract infection or crystals in the urine can make urination painful—and both are serious conditions that require medical attention. Cats often associate this pain with the litter box and begin to avoid it. So if your cat has a house-soiling problem, check with your veterinarian first to rule out any medical problems. Cats don't always act sick, even when they are, and only a trip to the veterinarian for a thorough physical examination can rule out a medical problem. Keep in mind that stress can sometimes cause a urinary tract infection or crystals. Also, for 2 cats- you should have at least 2 boxes- better to have 3. If you can rule out a medical problem, you should check out this website for more suggestions on how to solve the problem:http://catinfo.org/litterbox.htm