My 4 year old cat has suddenly taken to peeing on fabric outside the litter box. Is my 1 year old ca

My 4 year old cat, which we got at 2, has suddenly begun peeing on fabric all over the house. She has had a few sporadic incidents in the past but this is quite an escalation. She has been checked out by a Vet and was given a clean bill of health after a Urine test. We have 3 litter boxes for 2 cats. Two are in the basement, uncovered, and one is upstairs, covered. We have been trying extra hard to keep the litter clean lately but the incidents continue. Everytime she pees out of the box it seems to share certain characteristics. We are usually in the house but in another room (she never does it when we leave for the weekend) and it only happens when our two cats are both free in the house. Could our second cat who is slightly over 1 year be bullying her? And if so what else can we do? There have been no changes to the house our living situation since we got the second cat so I can't think of what else could have triggered this. Thanks.

Best Answers

• Eddie SEddie S north providenceMember Posts: 50
    Accepted Answer
    From experience, it's one of two things: One: The cat is opposed to sharing a litterbox. It's her way of saying this to you. and Two: Bullying, but not necessarily. What i would do is introduce her to the litterbox like you would a newborn, pat her head, let ther know it's ok. Maybe she just needs a shot of confidence. I've seen this work before. Good luck!
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    It does sound like she's marking. Cats usually stop using the box for 2 reasons. One is a health reason which you've already had her checked for. Another is stress. Observe the 2 cats when they are together. Does it seem like the youngster does bully her? That can cause her to mark. You don't say how long you've had #2, but if it's a recent acquisiton, this is a BIG change for #1. She needs some 1 on 1 time with her favorite people without Junior in the way. She needs you to advocate for and stop Junior if he/she IS bullying her. You can also get very good advice from your vet who knows her.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Izzie's advice is good. Yoy can also try getting a Feliway diffuser which can often help reduce anxiety and litter box issues. It plugs into the power outlet like an air freshener but we can't smell it.