Heart Murmur My cat Lily went to vet today and is diagnosed with a heart murmur. Vet took two x-ray

The x-ray showed enlarged heart on right side. ECG was normal. Vet suggest Ultra Sound. Lily is active and shows no signs of breathing or other issues. I will get the ultra sound but am very concerned. Any comments would be welcome. Lily is one year old.

Best Answers

• Myndi DavisMyndi Davis LehiMember Posts: 215
    Accepted Answer
    The sooner you get it diagnosed the better, so she can start medication. I read that if you get them diagnosed before symptoms show up, they live an average of 4-5 more years compared to only 3 months if they were diagnosed due to having symptoms. Depending on the severity of her condition, she may live a full happy life. My Jack had a grade 5/6 murmur caused by Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and lived to be 4 yrs, which was loner than anyone had expected for him. Talk to your doctor about medication; don't worry, you will get good at giving pills. We always gave Jack a treat afterwards so he actually looked forward to medicine time.
  • DONNA KELLY-BIRCHDONNA KELLY-BIRCH kenoshaMember Posts: 1,018
    Accepted Answer
    I have a heart murmur too, and I am 5. The vet said it was a 3 on the 6 scale. I have had no tests done yet. He said I could go about an hour away to a clinic where they have ultrasound, which may or may not show anything bad. He said if something was bad, they may or may not put me on meds which may or may not help. He gave my Mama that option, or said he would understand if she did nothing. She is choosing to wait until my annual exam next year, or she may get a second opinion. He also said if I was born with it, it would be less serious than if I just developed it. Mama called my previous vet, but they had no record of a murmur when I was a baby. Good Luck to You.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    And always ask if the meds come in liquid form or can be made up that way. I've always found that giving meds through a dropper or needle-less syringe is much easier than working to get a pill down. My Golden used to hide pills in her flappy-cheeks and then spit them out when my back was turned!