Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Cat peeing EVERYWHERE

My neutered male cat was diagnosed with a bladder infection a couple months back. He had been doing a lot of straining in the litter box, peeing outside the litterbox, and also had bloody urine for a couple days. My vet had put him on clavamox for 10 days, and we discontinued dry cat food and switched him to all wet food diet with extra water mixed in. He has no issues with straining anymore, and appears to be able to pee just fine...only that rather than doing it inside his litter box, he's doing it EVERYWHERE else. But he's doing it like marking; VERTICAL SURFACES. Walls, furniture, bookshelves, cabinets, wood, glass, you name it. I had to throw away $80 worth of books and just noticed today he got some video game cases. It's out of control. I keep him confined to my room and I'm trying to clean everything he pees on with enzyme cleaner but it's not helping. He's still peeing EVERYWHERE. What can I do to curb it? Do I need to confine him to a crate with his litterbox 24/7?

Best Answers

• Amanda SundbergAmanda Sundberg TulsaMember Posts: 257
    Accepted Answer
    No. You need to take him back to the vet for another UA asap. You didn't say whether or not they put him on a special urinary diet but if not he probably needs to be put on one.
  • Jennifer HearinJennifer Hearin Member Posts: 1,939
    Accepted Answer
    Some cats that have had painful urinary ailments may associate their litter box and type of litter with that pain, and won't use that box. You could try a different litter box and litter in a different location. Just a possibility that may help. You should make sure he is okay and doesn't have any more medical issues going on, but I think your vet was correct in changing to an all wet diet with extra water. Wet meat-based food helps keeps the urine at it's natural slightly acidic ph (urinary diets artificially acidify the urine) and the moisture in wet food keep the urine from becoming too concentrated and helps flush potential crystals. Here are some links that may be helpful: http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm 1) http://www.felineoutreach.org/Education/HouseSoiling.html 2) http://www.felineoutreach.org/Education/FLUTD.html
  • Debra HoffmannDebra Hoffmann RidgewoodMember Posts: 1,174
    Accepted Answer
    He needs to see the vet again. Either the infection is not gone, or it sounds like it might maybe he's having other issues with his bladder. I wonder if the vet could check and find out if he's Cryptoid. That means an undescended testicle. Sometimes one drops and the other doesn't so when the cat is neutered, they only neuter one. I would please have the vet check this out, but back to the vet ASAP.
  • Samira SultanaSamira Sultana Member Posts: 3
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Tidus, My male cat does that too. ALL OVER THE PLACE>> I have to sometimes follow the smell and clean. So I know. The reason is simple though. He is on Heat. Felines "mark" their territory that way when they are on heat. Cant really do anything about it.Since u have him neturered it should not be stinking as much. But really no solution. I Try and keep my cat out of the rooms and in the balcony or such areas mostly. have put a blanket out for him and fresh food and water so he does not really need to come into the rooms as much. Hope this helps. Samira