17 yr old male howls like he's being stabbed night&day.Deaf and nearly blind, no pain. So loud I'm

Kade VealKade Veal Des MoinesMember Posts: 2

Best Answers

•  Member Posts: 8
    Accepted Answer
    It sounds like something is wrong. Take him to the vet. Make sure he is alright. 17 is really old for a cat.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    17 is old for a cat, but I've heard of cats living to be 25. If this is something that he's suddenly started doing, you absolutely must take him to the vet. Senior cats can suffer from the same "old timer's diseases" that human senior citizens do. And. if that's the case, many can be controlled with medications. It is very difficult to tell if an animal is in pain as they are very good at hiding it. You've had your kitty for 17 years. Don't bail out on him now when he needs you the most. Please take him to his doctor for a diagnoses and treatment! (And give the sweet old guy a hug and head pat for us!)
  • kathy loftkathy loft BellevilleMember Posts: 2,200
    Accepted Answer
    Whew!!!! I knew you'd come through for me. Like Izzie mentioned senior cats can have the same things senior humans have as they age. Loss of memory, wondering around, confusion and excessive meowing. It could very well be a case of age and senility but you should always rule out anything medical first. A vet visit is in order for your little guy. Rule out anything that could be causing him pain. I think some people simply say, "ah it's just age" but many times your cat is telling you something is wrong. I know your probably getting frustrated with your cat keeping you up at night but please try to understand. Talk to your vet and I'm sure the 2 of you can figure out a way to help ease your cat and help you sleep through the night. All my best.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    The others are right, you need to take him to a vet. It may just be because of the deafness but it could be something more serious lik ehigh blood pressure. Make sure your vet checks his blood pressure when tey do the physical exam.
  • Jennifer HearinJennifer Hearin Member Posts: 1,939
    Accepted Answer
    Also have him checked for hyperthyroidism. Hope you get it figured out :)