Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

male cat spraying ours

My family recently got a new female kitten and she got desexed and goes outside a lot but our neighbours adult male cat who is also desexed keeps spraying her and on one occasion pooed on her. we have to keep washing her and i dont know if this is related, she has been vomiting latley a lot as well. how do we stop this without paying too much if possible? please help!

Best Answers

• patricia ponivaspatricia ponivas Las Vegas, NVMember Posts: 51,847
    Accepted Answer
    The best thing you can do is keep your kitten indoors. It's safer for your cat and will be easier on your pocketbook. It might be another male cat doing that, not unless you've actually seen what cat is doing these deeds to your kitty. Sometimes a vet misses on testicle, he might still have one. I don't know if the vomitting is caused by this behavior. There are a lot of diseases and illnesses a cat that goes outside can get. I would take her to the vet for a exam and keep her indoors.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Well, first of all, you can stop the problem with the frisky male by making your cat an indoor-only kitty. It will prolong her life, protect her from icky diseases, and prevent her from being the victim of a road accident. As to why the castrated male is "marking" your kitten, I have no idea. Maybe she still has some female pheromones that he's smelling and he wants to claim her as his own. Desexed cats not uncommonly engage in mating behavior (the male mounting the female), and desexed males don't always lose the urge to spray. As for the vomiting, I'd take her to the vet. Kittens can get dehydrated very quickly and die from excessive vomiting. Call the SPCA or a local shelter for information on cheap vet treatment.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Your poor kitten! You'd think she'd WANT to stay inside after that! This bully is claiming her as his "territory". Even desexed male (and female) cats will spray to mark what they think is theirs. We have a cat who frequents our yard and my outdoor cat is terrified of him although as far as I know he's never done anything to her. I'm lucky b/c I just let my dogs out to chase him away. If I knew who he belonged to, I might have some suggestions to make as MY cat stays in her yard. I would absolutely go to your neighbors and remark on what their cat is doing. At least they'd know he's a bully. As for the vomiting, this is a case for the vet. We can't give medical advice here as we don't know your cat or whether she may have eaten something outdoors that made her ill. Many vets will accept payment plans as times are rough all over. Good luck and if you do let your kitten outside, keep an eye on her and chase the bully away if he approaches her!