One of my cats always poops on the floor where their sandboxes are kept Why?

I have three cats, they have been together for several years now. I have 4 sandboxes yet one of them persists in pooping on the floor and I haven't figured out which one. Any suggestions.

Best Answers

• Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Inappropriate elimination can be caused by a lot of factors (a less than pristine toilet being a major one), but since only one of your kitties is "thinking outside the box," that may not be the problem. Yiou could try shutting away two of the cats for a day or so in another room, then another combination of two cats, and eventually you should have figured out who the culprit is. One problem with this idea is that the culprit may simply dislike sharing a litter box that other cats have used, and use the litter box if it hasn't been used by anyone else.
  • Hanna KozikHanna Kozik Member Posts: 16
    Accepted Answer
    aRE YOU USING THE SAME LITTER FOR EVERY BOX??? if not, i suggest you try and buy a little of each litter and test them out to see if he poops in those... Maybe he just doesn't like that kind of litter and your other cats do. You never know. If you see him itching frequently after going near the box go and see a doctor or check for red marks or spots. Hope I helped! Meow meow!!
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    If your cats gobble up wet food out of their own dishes, try shaving some crayons in a different color in each dish of wet food. Mix it in, then wait for it to come out the other end. When there's poop on the floor, see which color shavings are in it and you should have the answer to who is the culprit.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Is he pooping close to the box? Like close enough that his bottom is hanging over the edge? My Ragdoll breeder warned me that because they get so large, you need a good sized litterbox so they can fit easily or else stuff can happen outside the box. Which was good advice since my others are so little. Also, think back to when it started. Did you make some sort of change around the same time he may have been offended by? Litter type, litterbox type, location, etc. I know that when I have tried new types of litter, my Allie will not go near the ones she doesn't approve of.She hates corn, wheat and pine. I always keep the regular litter in some of the boxes if I test something new so I won't have any messy protests to deal with.