I just rescued a cat from my local humane society in October and she is a hefty girl! I thought tha

Best Answers

• Angie StoyAngie Stoy ChesapeakeMember Posts: 3
    Accepted Answer
    your answer got cut off. A cat requires 15-20 calories per lb. so if you know her exact weight you can gauge how much food she needs to be eating in order to either loose wieght or maintain. Most cats in shelters are fed lower grade foods so they have tons of fillers and tend to gain weight. I work for a cat rescue and I notice most of our older longer residence seem to be really heavy. If your now feeding her higher quality or wet/dry diet you should monitor her calorie intake. If you can't find the calorie count email me I can send you links to all brands.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Also, your vet can help with setting your cat's target weight and how long it should take to get there; if the cat loses weight too fast, it can develop serious liver problems. No more free-feeding, either.