Regarding kitty mills...

Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
I forgot to add this to my previous comment. There must be some money to be made by kitty mills, but my guess is that it's not much. It's usually the pet shop that makes the money. I'm in Japan, so the situation might be different from that in the States, but my local pet shop (part of a big chain; the animals look healthy and well-treated) charges over $2000 per purebred kitten (with pedigree). Your average household breeder, in Japan, will charge anywhere from $600 to $1000 (I'm talking about Maine Coons here), and if it's a good breeder, the kittens will be of much better quality than what you can get from a pet shop. Less expensive cats are not necessarily of a lower quality than more expensive cats, but human psychology is strange--some people are convinced that the more expensive a cat is, the better it must be. Cats are not cars.

Best Answer

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Kitten and puppy mills do make a lot of money because they don't have the expenses that a decent breeder has. They force the dogs/cats to have multiple litters a year, provide zero vet care or vaccinations and keep them in sub standard conditions. Once the dogs/cats are to old to crank out multiple large litters a year they are killed or sold off at auctions (probably for testing or the fur trade). They also avoid stud fees by inbreeding and keep breeding from cats/dogs with genetic/breed specific issues so the puppies/kittens are more likely to have health issues. A decent breeder will spend hundreds of dollars per kitten/puppy and keeping the breeding adults healthy and confortable. Puppy/kitten mills spend much less, churn out high volumes of puppies/kittens and will still get as much from the pet shop as a regular breeder would. If they get a few hundred dollars from the pet store they are making a killing.