PLEASE HELP! cat has bloodshot eyes and pinky colour discharge?

Her eyes have had the pinks colour discharge for a while now but my parents just said theres nothing wrong with her and i kept telling them to take her to the vets. now when i got up this morning she was asleep and now she has woke up her left eye is all bloodshot and she keeps squinting. there is also pinky discharge. what should i do?

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    It sounds like she may have an eye infection. But she may even have a scratch or something embedded in her eye. I once had a cat that knocked something off my dresser which broke and a piece of ceramic got stuck in her eye. She really needs to see the vet. Even if it is just an eye infection, she will need some ointment that the vet can prescribe.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I don't understand how your parents can say nothing is wrong with your cat when obviously something is. If it were you, would they take you to the doctor? I'm not saying they can compare their child with a cat, but when they agreed to adopt your kitty, they also agreed to be responsible for vet care and to give her the basics, one of which is medical care. It sounds like your cat has "pink-eye" or conjunctivitis which is highly contagious. It's one of the few things that can be transferred from an animal to a human. I hate to be harsh, but if your parents don't want to extend themselves to provide your cat with a good life and what it needs to be healthy, then you may have to give her up to someone whom you know will. It's not fair to the kitty to be sick and not get the care she needs. If someone found this out, your parents could be reported for animal neglect and fined, and that would cost more than a vet visit to take care of her...
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    There's no question that she needs to go to the vet. Cats often get eye infections, and at least in Japan, where I live, the vet and med fees are not steep, and eyes tend to heal quickly and well with the right treatment. Izzie's point about it costing more to be fined by animal protection is a good one. It could be, as Allie says, a scratch on the eye, or, as Izzie says, conjunctivitous. Or it could be caused by an upper respiratory infection (URI) that can be viral or bacterial in nature. Only a vet can diagnose and treat your cat with the right meds. If I were you, I would point out to your parents that your cat is in danger of going blind--wouldn't they want to prevent that? And yes, conjuctivitous can be passed between human and cat. Years ago, my roommate, our cat, and I all got conjunctivitous at the same time. I and the other human used the eye ointment that the vet prescribed for the cat (LOL) and we were all cured.