My cat -1 year old has been losing circular patches of hair, he has one on his belly and a few on h

He is finishing steriod medication and had an antibiotic shot. Need other options of how to help him get over this. Vet said allergies.

Best Answers

• Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    You may want to seek a second opinion. See http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2141&aid=195 for various reasons that cats can lose fur. I am not a vet, and have never had cats with fur loss. But the word "circular" makes me think of ringworm, which is a fungal infection that does not involve "worms." Cat ringworm can be passed on to humans, and is not fun. We had a human questioner a few weeks ago who had, I seem to remember, 80 separate lesions. If it turns out to be ringworm, steroids are out. And I am dubious about the use of antibiotics--they will not work on a fungal infection or on allegies. And steroids are extremely good medicines, but can have nasty side effects. I myself rotate among three vets who all have their good and bad qualities. Your present vet may or may not be right, but I would consult another vet if I were you,
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    You don't say why your cat was on steroids and antibiotics, but steroids are pretty nasty things. Is he scratching himself so badly he's tearing out the fur? Ringworm presents wth red, itchy, scaly, scabby patches in a "ring", usually at the center of the patch of hair loss. If your vet said it was allergies, did he/she also say you needed to change diets? I've heard that Zyrtec, human allergy medication, is showing promise in helping cats with allergies. But of course you'd have to check with your vet for their opinion and dosages. If your cat is scratching, you may have to resort to a "lampsade" or "e-collar" for him.