how long does she have left....

Rebecca MarieRebecca Marie LimaMember Posts: 64
my kitty is actually very healthy at 16.. but.. how long does she have?.. I know breed has to do with it.. but she's an unknown, as I learned earlier.

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Actually breed doesn't really have much to do with it. The expected lifespan of all cats is about the same unlike dogs where breed makes a difference. Your cat's health,how well you care for her and providing regular vet care is the only thing that determines her possible lifespan. You never know when the unexpected may come up but if you recognize things that might be a sign of illness and get her treated right away, she could have many years left. I have a 2 year old cat that was just diagnosed with hyperthyroid which although treatable, would have killed her if I did not take her to the vet in time to stop it. All we can do is give them the best care we can and pray they will be with us for a long time.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Since she's healthy she could live til she is 20+. The other poster is right that getting her annual check ups with your vet and also taking her to a vet if she starts losing weight or acting strange are the best ways to help her stay healthy and catch any illnesses that need meds. I hope you and Kitty have many more years together.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Actually, there ARE some breeds who are said to live longer than others--Siamese are one example. But the first key is medical care--get a second opinion if your first vet seems vague or doesn't want to treat a diagnosable condition (my Japanese moggies would have lived longer if my vet had actually treated them, instead of just diagnosing them with kidney and liver disease, although they lived to be 15 and 18). The single biggest factor, next to medical care and genetics, is keeping your cat indoors. This protects your cat from cat fights, icky diseases, traffic deaths, and kidnapping. Nutritional issues may or may not play a role--this is a hot topic on the Food Forum. Kitty seems pretty healthy, so keep on with those vet checks, and I'm sure you have many more years of pleasure together.