I was told it was ok to bring you cats to the vet every two or three years if they are indoor cats.

Best Answers

• Rebecca MarieRebecca Marie LimaMember Posts: 64
    Accepted Answer
    It all depends on the condition of the cat, and how healthy it is, how old it is, and if it has any medical conditions.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Kitty is right,. It's probably better to take them every few years than not at all, but I am concerned that if a cat has a medical issue, it won' be detected in time to possibly save its life. As they say, cancer is a silent killer, and by the time you notice your cat is not "right" and get it to the vet's, it could be too late Vets are trained to see things in animals that even we, as their owners, might miss. And, if you do take your cat every year or so, it may prove cheaper in the long run because you are keeping them healthy and stopping any health issues before they become serious. Even though keeping your cat indoors can extend it's life by years, that doesn't mean they are immune to diseases and other health issues. So, if it were me, I'd work it into my buget ever year or 18 months and I would not have more cats than I could finance vet care for.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Izzie has it right. Follow Izzie's advice. Before I discovered Catster, I had two moggies who never went to the vet because they were inside only cats. The sister died at age 15 of renal failure. The brother died at age 18 of complications from liver problems, senility, and simple old age. Part of the problem was my being ignorant about being proactive about their medical care. Part of the problem was that my vet diagnosed their illnesses, but never treated them--which means that they would have lived longer had I had the sense to find another vet. Yes, 15 and 18 are fairly good lifespans for cats, and no one expects their cat to live forever. But I now know that a yearly wellness check, aggressive searching for a good vet, and vet checks whenever something looks wrong, are all necessary. Take it from me--a regular vet check, with a good vet, can prolong your cat's life, even if your cat is an indoor only kitty. Good luck and purrs.