is it ok to keep a cat indoors at all times?

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Cats that are kept indoors live longer, healthier lives and have a lot less risks for injury and illness. I have always had indoor only cats. Mine are perfectly happy watching squirrels and birds outside their windows. I provide cat trees or scratching posts and toys to keep them active and none of them even think about going outside except for Chelsea who likes her short supervised visits to the back deck.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Allie is right. I have an in/out cat, Lily Rose, and I am not really happy about it because I lost a cat on the road about a year and a half ago. Lily was an in/out cat when I adopted her and she did a lot of damage to our window and door screens trying to get out. DH said either I let her out or she goes back to the rescue. Once a cat has a taste of the freedom of out of doors, it's almost impossible to make them into an inside kitty again. Make sure you keep your cats up on their vaccinations even if they are inside cats, though.
  • Christine BroderickChristine Broderick SomervilleMember Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    I like in the city. I have 10 cats. ALL indoors. I just think its much safer, with the cars and strays and other animals etc. I do have a screened in porch (which looks like a prison now, because we had to staple gun the whole thing with chicken wire, because they were clawing all the screens..lol) that they go out there in the summer and get the fresh (city) air..lol But even if I lived in the country I think I would worry too much if I let them go out.