Why does my cat stick her tong out?

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Julia is a beautiful and most unusual looking kitty! Because she's an outdoor cat, she must have regular vet exams to make sure she's staying healthy. Sticking her tongue out and gagging could be a sign that she's got something in her throat. Or, she could be panting. Cats do, not as much as dogs, but they do. You may also see her with her tongue out when she's in mid-groom. Also, I hope that she is spayed since you say she 'gets along with the other kitties in the neighborhood." If she continues this behavior or it gets worse, I'd call your vet just to make sure she's 100% OK.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    A couple of mine stick their tongue out all of the time. I will answer as Blaze just because her picture is the funniest. She does it constantly whether she is napping alone or being cuddled. Her sister Allie does it when she is relaxed and cuddling with me when I hold her like a baby. My breeder tells me their Mom does it too along with several of her other cats. Even Kira does it from time to time. If Julia is not doing it in the ways that Izzie describes where it seems like she is gagging, panting or something is wrong, then I wouldn't be concerned. It's just an odd quirk that I had never seen before either but it's very common in my house now.