Is Toby sick?

cara-lyn tibbscara-lyn tibbs redding, shasta lake cityMember Posts: 1
Toby is one year old. He keeps biting himself and has open sores all over his head, neck and back. Now he's losing his hair. He has random patches gone on his back where some of the sores are. My other cat, Cody is his brother and is six months old. Nothing is wrong with him.

Best Answers

• patricia ponivaspatricia ponivas Las Vegas, NVMember Posts: 51,847
    Accepted Answer
    Toby needs to go to the vet for an exam. He is sick or maybe he has a bad case of fleas. Mayb he has some kind of skin problem. A vet will be able to tell you and give you the proper medication and advice.
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    Sounds like Toby has a bad case of FLEAS!
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, Toby is sick. I only once had a cat with fleas, but I don't remember much about the experience except that it cleared up immediately with vet care. OTC meds don't work as well as vet meds do. On the off chance that Toby has ringworm (a fungus infection, not a worm), do be careful, as ringworm can be transmitted to humans, which is not fun. Regarding fleas, even though it's winter, they can occur year round, even in an indoor only kitty (for example, they can come into the house riding on your pants leg). If your cat is an indoor/outdoor kitty, there's always the chance that he might eat a flea-infested rodent--which not only can cause him to develop a flea infection, but also tapeworms. Do go to the vet soon--it sounds like Toby is suffering. And just to be sure, take a Baggie of fresh poo (within 24 hours). You might want to take a stool sample from Cody as well. It might be hard to tell whose poop is whose, but watch them closely after they eat. Good luck.